Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tranquility beyond the picture window

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living.  We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon - instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today.

~ Dale Carnegie ~

I bought this potted rose last year (sold as a patio rose).  I do not know what it is called, but after it had flowered, we planted it in a larger pot and put it in the garden outside the greenhouse as this is
where the best sun is.

Please click on the read more link below to continue this post...

Three beauties on a single stem - they last very well in the garden.
This bloom was on its own stem.  I have picked it to put in the greenhouse.

Today, I'd like to show you the small, wall-mounted water feature right outside our picture window...


Looking through and beyond the picture window in the morning light.
This window is situated directly opposite the sandblasted, glass door which serves as the entrance to our home.  We seldom come inside that way, as we preferentially use the kitchen door, it being far more convenient for our daily needs.  Guests, however, are shown in through the front door and so I wanted their immediate impression upon stepping inside to be one of tranquility.

Outside the open window
The morning air is all awash with angels.
~ Richard Purdy Wilbur ~
This window looks out upon the length of the front of our home down towards the pond at the furthest end of the vista afforded by this particular window.  When our large brunsfelsia is in bloom,  this window frames it beautifully.

For today, though, I am only going to show you the little water feature, which is on your left as you look out of the windowpane.

Scene outside the picture window...


The goldfish are waiting to be fed.

This cherub spends his days and nights reading.

I scooped some of the excess azolla (floating water fern) out of the small waterfeature in which I have my only waterlily plant growing.  I'll have to be diligent about removing the excess here, too.

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.  ~Michelangelo

Ok, now we'll step outside and take a closer look without the reflections bouncing off the windowpane...

I was unable to photograph the whole thing completely in a single shot, so what follows is a series of sectional pictures and a few close-ups.  The piece of driftwood upon which the little cherub is seated was found for me by my husband very early on in the first year of our marriage and has remained with us ever since.  We celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary tomorrow :)
Both the ivy and ivy geranium are real.  The hydrangea flowers are fake.  I love the colour blue and keep them here, permanently.

This section of wall is the only plastered piece on the exterior of our facebrick home - I had it done especially to serve as the backdrop to this little waterfeature.  I am planning to get creative and do a mosaic border, now that I've learnt the basics of mosaics. 

I love all the moss and green algae attaching itself to the cherub.  It gives it the aged look I prefer.


I found these lovely, smooth rounded stones.  Their pastel colouring blends so well here.  Again, note the mossy growth on the side of the waterfeature.

Two small goldfish are the lucky inhabitants of this little waterfeature.  Although not large, it has a fair depth and they seem perfectly contented.  They are quite tame.

Another interesting rock lives in the second of the wall mounted pots on either side of the waterfeature.  This little forest fellow seems happy to occupy this spot.  I have two concrete lovebirds in the one on the other side, as you would have seen in the pictures above.

Looking out from inside, this waterfeature dominates the plastered section of wall.  I can hear the water splashing into the basin when I'm seated in front of my computer.  A lovely, soothing sound.  I never tire of seeing the waterfeature on the countless times I walk into this part of our house.  To me, it represents permanence and gives me a feeling of instant peace and serenity, no matter what else is happening in life at the time.  

I often put fresh flowers in the little basin on top and float individual blossoms in the bottom basin.  I enjoy varying both the colour and type of flowers I use.


Today, I'd like to leave you with this lovely verse...


Ever felt an angel's breath in the gentle breeze?
  A teardrop in the falling rain? 
Hear a whisper amongst the rustle of leaves?
  Or been kissed by a lone snowflake? 
Nature is an angel's favorite hiding place.
  ~ Carrie Latet ~



Have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. Wowwwwwwwwww.beautiful garden !!! and what a nice dogs...beautiful blog you have...i follow you and come back later......have a nice day!........love Ria.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ria. So nice to have you drop by :) I'll be delighted if you can come and visit me again. Enjoy your day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful entry to your home, I bet your guests don't rush to your door so they can see everything. Your pink rose is gorgeous!
    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your good wishes, Catherine :) and once again, I'm so pleased to know you enjoyed visiting my garden!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!