Thursday, March 1, 2012

Who are our real friends?

Melynda Fleury, blogger extraordinaire and debut author of Just Nonsense
We all know the cliche that, in prosperity, our friends know who we are, but in adversity, we know who our friends are.

This rings no truer than for Melynda and three of her wonderfully supportive friends who, in her time of need, have rallied together to really make a difference.


Melynda is diabetic and is sadly rapidly losing the last remaining sightedness in her one no longer good eye. She has been completely blind in the other eye for some time already. A remarkable young woman, Melynda remains positive and cheerful regardless of the many obstacles life throws in her way, yet in the last couple of years she has faced more than most. Her mounting medical costs have been crippling and despite everything she and her husband have done to alleviate their situation, few choices remained to them. They recently had to sell their home and move into a smaller rental home to cut escalating costs to a minimum. Ironically, until Melynda was declared legally blind in both eyes, the American Health Care System would not support her.

This is where her friends Elisa, Fran (aka fishducky) and Joshua boldly stepped up to the challenge in their selfless quest to do something positively punchy to help her. They have taken the would-be book of short stories and blog posts that Melynda had haphazardly cobbled together prior to losing her sight and have spent countless hours editing and re-editing them to get ready for publication. In addition, Elisa applied her very creative mind to designing an unusually eye-catching book cover and, voila! They have succeeded in getting Melynda's first book, Just Nonsense published! This was done very much in secret, all behind the scenes, in the dead of night, to keep her in the dark (excuse the pun) until today...1st March 2012!



Melynda's book is officially being launched for sale TODAY! All proceeds will go towards funding her special needs. Isn't that exciting? Don't you just love a feel good story? You do? Oh, good! Because...

This is where I now graciously invite YOU to step into the picture to complete the happy scene. Please click on the link provided and order yourself a copy of Melynda's book. You will definitely find her a laugh a minute. She has a unique way of looking at the trials and tribulations of life and turning them into moments worthy of mirth. You might even want to buy a second copy of her book as a gift for someone dear to you. She really is that easy to share and I can guarantee you will not be disappointed...at the same time, you will be helping her friends realize their dream of making a difference in her life!

And, if you don't believe me, who better than Elisa and Fran to convince you of Melynda's exceptional skill as a story teller?

"I helped edit this book, so I have already read it--BUT I STILL WANT A COPY!! What a treat it was to read a well written, hilarious book of things that could have only happened to Melynda!!"  Fran Fischer


"This was so creative and hilarious! I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions." Elisa Hirsch

46 comments:

  1. What an utterly fabulous post. You always manage to come up trumps with exactly the right words. (I wish I could be so eloquent!)
    I have got my copy and I can also testify that it is a great read...
    Your words, Melynda's spirit and Elisa, Joshua and Fran's efforts are all reasons why I think bloggers are just the nicest people and provide the greatest support. I couldn't be amongst a better group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought two copies, one to keep and one to give away :) Here's hoping that with everyone pulling together on this, Melynda will get the exposure she needs right now. As I said earlier, with an accomplished author such as you punting for her, she couldn't be luckier!

      Delete
  2. Great idea, I truly hope she will be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, there is no cure for Melynda's blindness, short of a miracle, that is!

      Delete
  3. Des this is a fabulous post for a lovely lady. I hope so many people get to know Melynda like we have and grab up her book and share with others. I so want this to be a success for her. She has brought so much joy into my life in such a short time while suffering with her disability. Thanks for doing this great thing for her.
    Hugs,
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Odie. My part is so small but with each of us doing our bit, we can maybe make something really special happen for her. She really deserves a break!

      Delete
  4. Wowwww so special ....friendship between people is the best their is......!!...you need friends in live...not many but real friends !!...love from me....thanks for sharing this !!...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the whole world rejoices when humanity shows its caring side, Ria. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Los bywa okrutny. Na jedną, osobę tyle nieszczęść spadło. Przeczytałam wszystkie posty, do których dałaś linki. Wspaniałe jest to, co wszyscy dla niej robią. Jesteście godni podziwu. Pozdrawiam serdecznie. *** Sometimes cruel fate. For one, the person has fallen so much misery. I read all the posts to which you gave links. Wonderful is what we all do for her. You are worthy of admiration. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Giga. The admiration you feel is not for me. It's Melynda, first and foremost plus her incredible friends, who deserve it. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  6. a remarkable neighborhood we live in, here in blogland...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blows me away, Desiree. The hardships endured by Melynda were already enough to provide the basis for a book, but this idea secretly executed by her friends is truly inspired. What the world needs now is more love stories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a sweetheart. This is a perfect post! I'm sharing it on twitter and google +. I'm so thankful to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Elisa. None of this was possible without you! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Des, I am truly speechless. Ok almost. Not just from the kindness and love of my friends that made this happen but all the others like yourself that are spreading the word.. I never knew how many people cared about me and I have been crying all day reading the wonderful and amazing things people have to say about me! I never knew... I just never knew....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all told you so, but I guess you had to experience it for yourself! We are all rooting for you big time, Melynda! xoxo

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful post! I can't wait to get my copy of this book. I am continually amazed at Melynda's positive outlook when most would be beaten down with a smidgen of what she has dealt with.

    Thanks for continuing the message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of us is trying to do the little we can to make something miraculous happen! Thank you for your part in all of this, Sandi. xoxo

      Delete
  11. What a gift to have friends like that! How inspiring and heartwarming. I'm going to share this story on twitter and fb and also order a copy to keep. Truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admire people like this. I doubt that I would be so positive and continue being a lover of life in the face of something like this. I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, my own thoughts exactly! I truly do not know what Melynda is made up of, but it's not flesh and blood. She has the soul of a saint.

      Delete
  13. Lovely post. She truly is amazing. So lucky to have you both in my bloggerhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been a wonderfully supportive and encouraging friend to Melynda! This has been such an exciting event to promote in my own small way.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful post in support of Melynda, my friend. This brave lady really does deserve all the support we can give her at the moment. I pray that the book will raise lots of money for her cause. I just can't imagine what she must be going through, but what a lovely gesture on the part of her friends to organise this book. Hugs to you, dear Desiree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all feel exactly as you do, Diane! Miracles happen when everyone pulls together :)

      Delete
  15. What a wonderfully creative way to help out a friend (and how lovely that they kept it a surprise!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Helene, it really is the best way for all of them to have helped her! And, it seems to be having the desired effect. Melynda's book hit the Top 10 list on Amazon and then moved up to second place!

      Delete
  16. Desiree, You have written a beautiful post. So eloquent and touching. Melynda has some wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darlene. I am only trying to do my small part in the great scheme of things. With everyone pulling together so strongly for Melynda, things can only go well! You are a remarkable friend to her, too! xoxo

      Delete
  17. They are really true friends, when they can pull together to help a friend when they she is down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The remarkable thing about all of this is that only Elisa actually knows Melynda in person. They were neighbours who became firm friends. The others have become friends through blogging alone, yet their love and support is no less real. It really is a heart warming story!

      Delete
  18. melynda is surely a lucky woman to have such caring friends. TRUE friends. and you Desiree have done a beautiful thing with this post. thanks. i'll check out her book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda is truly inspirational and absolutely deserving of all the support all of us can muster. Thank you, Laura! xoxo

      Delete
  19. Came over, from "Southhamsdarling" blog...

    ORDERED!!!

    Gentle hugs,
    "Auntie"
    US

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On behalf of Melynda and her friends, thank you so very much! xoxo

      Delete
  20. True friends are hard to find. They are all inspirational!! You did a great job of explaining the situation. *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so exciting to hear today that Melynda's book made it to number 3 on Amazons Top 10 list! With a beginning like that, it can only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Finally I get a break!!:) It's lunch and I get to read!!:) This is really nice to read. I met my first blogger about a month and a half ago and it was wonderful. This is really a touching story. A very special group of people indeed. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Desiree,
    Hasn't it been wonderful to be able to do a little something for Melynda after all the laughter she has given us!!!!!

    Sorry to come to your posting so late. I've been busy on another editing project and have neglected reading blogs. I hope all is well and that the dogs--as well as you and your husband--are thriving!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It never ceases to amaze me - the power of friendship and depth of their support.

    I hope Melynda manages her adjustment - the thought of going blind terrifies me (I am deaf)... I hope someday that the cause of her blindness can be cured.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Desiree you are such a kind hearted remarkable woman you make life so amazing for so many and I am sure you do not even realize it.Oh Desiree I am afraid you do not know just how well thought of you are.
    I Hope many many books sell and Melynda gets all the help she truly deserves. B

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Des! I just wanted to pop in and tell you that I miss you and that all three of my books are going well. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Much love Melynda

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!