Monday, April 18, 2011

Faithful Companions!

Yesterday, in Romeo's memory, we opened our hearts to rescue Milo.  Here he is with Coco and Heathcliff....
You paused outside to look into my cage. I tried to play it right, wanting to catch your eye with a shy glint in my own, a soft bark, that said, "Choose me," in a canine grammar I hoped you'd understand.
~ R.S. Jones's account of his dog Scout's adoption from a shelter  ~

 Please click the Read more button below to continue this post...



"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ~ Louis Sabin ~
 
I Rescued a Human Today.
Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels.  
I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so  
she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my  
cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers  
get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card, I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the  
future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. She got down on  
her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up  
against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her  
cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well. Soon my kennel door opened  
and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her  
safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see  
that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.  
So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At  
least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.
 ~ Author Unknown ~

"If man lived up to the reputation of a dog, he would be a saint." ~ Zanzibarian Proverb

"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" ~ Fred Jungclaus

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself.

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) ~ Gene Hill ~

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
~ Unknown ~

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
~ Immanuel Kant ~

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever — in case I need him. And I expect I will — as I always have. He is just my dog.
~ Tears and Laughter by Gene Hill ~

He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. ~ Gene Hill ~

I am joy in a wooly coat, come to dance into your life, to make you laugh!
~ Julie Church ~



"Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends the animals, especially for animals who are suffering; for any that are hunted or lost, or deserted or frightened or hungry; for all that must be put to death. We entreat for them all thy mercy and pity and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion and gentle hands and kindly words. Make us, ourselves, to be true friends to animals and so to share the blessings of the merciful." 
~ Albert Schweitzer ~


This post is dedicated to the memory of Ziggy (our first German Shepherd), Tessa (our second German Shepherd) and Romeo (our daughter's beautiful rescue pup)

36 comments:

  1. Thank you, Des, for this amazing post.. :) :)
    Every word in this post is so true, and so touching. Your dogs are adorable. :)

    My blog address has changed, so find me now @Conquering the World

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog post!
    I especially loved "I rescued a human today"
    What special people you are!
    If there were only more like you in the world!

    I wish you and your pups many happy years together!

    Xoxo
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy you welcomed a new member of the family. Milo will be very happy with you, I'm sure.

    You talked quite often about your dogs, but only now I realise that they must have been an important part of your life for many years.

    The quotes today are heartwarming. The one about rescuing a human made me smile. I have seen such gentle and caring dogs, it seemed that they were taking care of the happiness and safety of their owners. And that is what they do, care for our soul, so we don't forget to love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible post, Mom - we are so, so lucky to have been blessed with such amazingly loyal and loving dogs.

    Ziggy, Tessa and Romeo are in heaven, eating loads of treats and chasing the birds until we get to see them again.

    Give Bonnie, Toby, Heathcliff and baby Milo a big pat from us!

    Love,
    Linda and Coco xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings tears to my eyes! May you have the best of times with the new additions to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post.....it is good to remember.......give that cute little pup a biggg huge hug from me darling.....lovely day....love Ria....xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful tribute to your lost pets. The pictures are amazing. The expressions match the text beautifully. Dogs are tops and German Shepherds are my favourite. Milo reminds me of our Ricky, long gone now. I hope Milo fills the gap left by Romeo, Ziggy and Tessa. He has a lovely shiny coat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post and pictures, Desiree. Bless you for taking in Milo. I'm sure Coco and your other dogs love him already. Blessings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a nice dedication, Desiree...
    ziggy...beautiful...well, i'm partial to german shepherds...used to have one AGES ago...'soma' was her name.

    i have a milo too...14 year old...i mean young...cat! your milo doesn't know just how lucky he is...YET!!

    thankyou for all the terrific pictures...your memories...the quotes...and the intro to your new family member! will be looking forward to more!! :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Desiree, Are the dogs portraits are touching.
    I am so sad to hear about Romeo! I would be heartbroken, if ever my dogs were to be hit by a car.
    I am glad your daughter was able to find her new dog Coco. He looks like a real charmer! It is great that she rescued him from and uncertain future and she is sure to give him a wonderful life.
    P.S. You are doing a great job with your new camera. I can't believe how sharp your flower close-ups are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I may have told you I am an animal lover! Dogs though are my greatest of loves. My three drive me bonkers and make me laugh, they comfort me when I am sad and are my companions when I need to excersise. I love this post! Thank you for sharing and the pictures are amazing as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Desiree, I have just had the privilege of "meeting" your daughter by visiting her blog and finding a kinship in our love for animals. Oh how I relate to the heartache of losing a dear animal friend. Living here in the country, we have known and loved and lost so many little souls.
    I am a big supporter of the Humane Society and commend anyone who helps out animals in need. I cannot tell you how many homeless critters I have taken in over the years, because I don't even know!
    So greetings to dear little COCO< may he live a long and happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those faces!! That story!! You have reduced me to smiles and tears at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful dogs. Why won't mine stand still like that when I bath them. They always act as if I'm committing murders or some other terrible crime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos of beautiful dogs. I'm sure they will bring you much joy and vice versa :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pictures and a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like Di, I thought this a wonderful post. She is right. You are special people. All my life we have had rescue dogs...or ones that wandered in from the cold, half starved and gaunt. It was just our way of life in the country. All of our dogs were inside, outside dogs that were my constant companions and slept at the foot of my bed.
    The emotion your quote brought up..was overwhelming.
    Sending you a hug!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures of your dogs! Milo looks like such a cutie! Love the quotes too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those beautiful faces...you always give me a smile on my face...thank you for that....
    Love and hugs Bianca xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Desiree...I am just catching up on your posts and trying to make sense out of what has happened...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos. Your dogs are lucky to have a wonderful home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such lucky and well-loved dogs. They look content.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, the words were inspiring and the pictures of the dogs were amazing. Thank you so much, this made my day.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a wonderful collection of words and photos. thank you so much, now where are those tissues...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm thinking these beautiful dogs have been most fortunate to have you in their lives. Difficult to lose a pet (we lost our dog a few years ago.) I'm glad you have opened your heart to another.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We have three dogs - two we rescued from a shelter three years ago and a fifteen year old black lab. Our rescue dogs are half beagle and half rat-terrier and they look a bit like the dog in the middle, in your picture above - I think that's Milo?

    I believe you are all lucky to have each other. What a lovely pack!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Desiree...this brought tears to my eyes. How beautiful! Thank you!!

    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful words and pictures! I'm so happy for the new joy in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lucky dog Milo is! I know you treat your dogs so well and they are so loved. I wish we had more space to adopt another dog, one day hopefully. I think what your daughter is doing to help raise money is amazing. What a great way to keep Romeo's memory alive.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A beautiful and poignant post. The gifts our dogs give us are invaluable, and all they ask in return is dinner and a scratch and someone to play with. We definitely get the better deal, I think.

    I continue to be in awe of the way you and Linda are using Romeo's death for good.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful post, I had tears flowing down my cheeks, and the pictures are beautiful, as always.
    Have a beautiful weekend Desiree, you are a very special person.
    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  32. I thought I was following you! Now I am. Cute doggie pics.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fathful indeed, you are so kind to exten a welcome to these dog friends. Cheers to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  34. A beautiful post Desiree. It's been many years since we lost our dog, but she's never been forgotten.
    Your post is a lovely tribute to your dogs who have gone.
    Milo is lovely and is also very lucky.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!